Sports, Media & Entertainment
The global sports industry is estimated to be around USD 600 billion, which is spread across different sub-sectors such as sports manufacturing, retail, tourism, sports medicine, venues & infrastructure, media & hospitality and merchandising.
Around the world, the sport and entertainment industries are converging, as both the sectors continue to rise to the opportunities and challenges presented by the new digital technologies, which are shaping the way we spend our leisure time.
- In India, the sports industry is at the cusp of a revolution
- The triggers are already present – spectator base of over a billion people, 16 sports television channels, growing list of corporate and brands willing to invest in emerging cricket and non-cricket platforms
- Commercial success of Indian Premier League (IPL) has led to a surge of similar commercial formats in other sports such as football, badminton, kabaddi, golf and hockey
- The estimated value of IPL is between USD 3.7 – 4.1 bn that makes it the 6th highest valued sporting event in the world
- Advertising spends on sports was around USD 700 million in 2013 and is expected to grow at a rate of 20-25% over the next few years